Skip to main content

My experience as an intern in the lab

 


On the 20th of December 2022 my mom and I went out together for me to apply as an intern.

Let's reverse to days before now
<<< <<<
My brother and I had a discussion on this and we came to a conclusion on a particular lab. Okay that aside, I decided to meet one of my uncles who apparently studied the course that I am currently studying, which is medical laboratory science and he made mention of another lab. Now, the lab he mentioned was the one that I faced head on to get and so I applied but unfortunately I got rejected.
Already looking tired and frustrated, it dawned on me the one my brother and I was talking about and just before we were about to conclude I brought it up and my mum in her tiredness said, "after this one, no more".
So we went there and applied. Luckily for us we got the privilege to see the manager and we explained further, without no bombarding questions from her. She said "when can I start coming" ? At first I was like, "Ma?...
Emm, tomorrow Ma" I said. "See you then" she said.
With a heavy smile on my face I thanked her.

When we entered the car I took a heavy breath and shouted in my mind "🗣GOD THANK YOUUUU"
....
The day of internship began and I felt peace there. There was this lady that was so happy to have me there and I was so glad. She was the one that the manager handed me over to, her name was Lovelyn.
I started with the phlebotomy unit. I met a very strict but sweet lady called Bright. She was among the ones I met that made me realize that age doesn't neccesarily matter but the experience and how you handle matters of life that is necessary. She's among the ladies there that doesn't  tolerate rubbish from anyone.
But unfortunately for me, I came to realize that she would be leaving to do her defence in Uni. So that day was my first and maybe last time I will ever see her and I'm so glad I was able to work with her before she left.

Being so eager to know a lot I went to the microbiology unit, that unit is another ball game entirely.  These people are really good at what they do. I met a lady there also who showed me around and I felt so happy and at peace with myself. After 2 days of my stay. I found out that this unit will be moved to the next branch of the lab which was in a different location.  This made me realize that God's timing is truly the best. Cause before then (the relocation), I was able to learn how to culture samples and how to prepare plates , which I was so grateful for. I thank God for the girl I met in that unit, for she was the one that gave me the tutor, Stella was her name.
Fast forward to today being friday, the day I'm writing this article,  I was opportuned to perform some little procedures and ask questions to patients, concerning their condition, which I found so engaging. I felt among and I'm ever so grateful. 

4 days  of my stay I have suddenly felt a sense of belonging.  These people and many others are really good scientists and teachers. If I begin to tell my individual experiences with the scientists, this article would be extremely long but I will love to give credit to Scientists Tim and Ben. They are extremely good teachers. I'm ever so grateful to have learned a lot from them.

My experience in summary: It was fun and insightful and as the days go by I'm sure I will be able to get enough information that will make me have an edge in the laboratory before I begin my clinicals in uni.

Go Home With (GHW) : No matter the amount of rejection always remember that there will always be an acceptance.
Go Home Quote(GHQ): "Have a positive mindset and see your life change for the better. "
Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular posts from this blog

Journey to Uni/ college entry in Nigeria

 So my journey to the University was quite tiring and exhausting. After boarding the flight we (my mum and I) used land transport to go to the state where the university was located at. ...fast forward to the end ...we booked a hotel after arriving where we will be resting for a week as my mum tries and settles me before she departs. Let me clarify one thing straight, ..but first of all if you are new to this blog then Hi, my name is Maryblessing and I am a student studying in Nigeria. In this blog I will be documenting my journey both in school and outside school. You can check out this particular post where I introduced myself fully.   COLLEGE (UNIVERSITY) ENTRY IN NIGERIA Things are pretty straight to the point when entering College. So this is how it goes, during the last year of your secondary school studies (high school) you are opt to write 2 final exams NECO and WAEC. This depends on your school if you want to write a school exam or some people decide to write theirs after

End of year 2 / A new beginning

 Wow, the level that has so been over hyped has finally come to an end. God is really wonderful.  I won't lie, second semester was a semester filled with opportunities and lots more connections than ever before. At the beginning of second semester I was so blind folded to the vast opportunities that came my way. But luckily for me due to the  habit I developed over the years of  'never letting a day go by without reading' I was able to meet up before the quiz week started. One thing I have learnt so far is that never lose track of where you are heading to in life. Many things and people will certainly come your way, some may be good and some may be bad. But having a mind so vivid and surrounding yourself with people that molds you positively be it in their absence or in their presence has a vast impact in your everyday life.  I remembered asking God about the things I desire to do; learn the guitar, further more into graphic design, be in an organization that cherish God mo